places to go
Places, places and more places to go... The list of local attractions is endless.
We are situated in the heart of the West Sussex countryside, giving you access to some amazing natural wildlife reserves, historical venues hosting sports and events, beautiful towns and villages, famous natural beauty spots, beaches, botanical gardens, Michelin star restaurants and much, much more.
ACCOMPANIED HORSE TREKKING
We are fortunate to run the glamping site alongside our other business, HRH Equestrian, so we can offer our guests an accompanied trek on a safe horse. This enables you venture off site through the countryside, following a variety of bridlepaths to see the local sites and the variety of wildlife on the Knepp Estate.
Quirky, fun and cosmopolitan, the modern market town of Arundel in West Sussex is full of history, heritage, culture and charm.
Most people will know Arundel for it's two famous landmarks, Arundel Castle and Arundel Cathedral. But there's so much more to enjoy, with a great range of things to do including fishing, boating, wildlife watching, outdoor swimming and walks on the nearby South Downs – the UK’s newest national park.
Each year Arundel plays host to some of the most popular events in Sussex, including the ten day Arundel Festival in August; Arundel Cathedral’s Feast of Corpus Christi, which is
traditionally 60 days after Easter, and Arundel by Candlelight in December.
The park lies in the South Downs National Park. The estate belongs to Viscount Cowdray, whose family have owned it since 1908. It has a golf course, and it offers clay pigeon shooting and corporate activity days.
Cowdray Park Polo Club
The estate is home to the Cowdray Park Polo Club, one of the leading polo clubs in the United Kingdom. The sport has been played there for over 100 years. Over 450 polo matches are held at the park each season. The highlight of the polo season is the annual British Open Polo Championship, for the Gold Cup, sponsored for many years by Veuve Clicquot, and now by Jaeger-LeCoultre.
The estate also features the Cowdray House - the former home of the Montague family, built in 1542 . Cowdray House consists of the ruins of one of England's great Tudor houses, architecturally comparable to many of the great palaces and country houses of that time. It is situated in the Parish of Easebourne, just east of Midhurst, West Sussex standing on the north bank of the River Rother. It was largely destroyed by fire on 24 September 1793, but the ruins have nevertheless been Grade I listed
LEONARDSLEE LAKE & GARDENS
Leonardslee is an English country house and landscaped woodland garden in Lower Beeding, near Horsham, West Sussex, England. The Grade I listed garden is particularly significant for its spring displays of rhododendrons, azaleas, camellias, magnolias and bluebells, with the flowering season reaching its peak in May. The estate includes a 19th-century Italianate style house and lodge.
WEALD & DOWNLAND LIVING MUSEUM
The Weald and Downland Living Museum is an open-air museum in Singleton, West Sussex. The museum is a registered charity. The museum covers 40 acres, with over 50 historic buildings dating from 950AD to the 19th century, along with gardens, farm animals, walks and a mill pond.
Devil's Dyke is a 100m deep V-shaped valley on the South Downs Way in southern England, near Brighton and Hove. It is part of a Site of Special Scientific Interest, Beeding Hill to Newtimber Hill. Devil's Dyke was a major local tourist attraction in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.
Chichester Cathedral, formally known as the Cathedral Church of the Holy Trinity, is the seat of the Anglican Bishop of Chichester. It is located in Chichester, in West Sussex, United Kingdom. It was founded as a cathedral in 1075, when the seat of the bishop was moved from Selsey.
Chichester Cathedral has fine architecture in both the Norman and the Gothic styles, and has been described by the architectural critic Ian Nairn as "the most typical English Cathedral". Despite this, Chichester has two architectural features that are unique among England's medieval cathedrals—a free-standing medieval bell tower (or campanile) and double aisles. The cathedral contains two rare medieval sculptures, and many modern art works including tapestries, stained glass and sculpture, many of these commissioned by Walter Hussey
Chanctonbury Ring is a prehistoric hill fort atop Chanctonbury Hill on the South Downs, on the border of the civil parishes of Washington and Wiston in the English county of West Sussex. A ridgeway, now part of the South Downs Way, runs along the hill. It forms part of an ensemble of associated historical features created over a span of more than 2,000 years, including round barrows dating from the Bronze Age to the Saxon periods and dykes dating from the Iron Age and Roman periods
SOUTH DOWNS LINK
The Downs Link is a 36.7 miles (59.1 km) footpath and bridleway linking the North Downs Way at St. Martha's Hill in Surrey with the South Downs Way near Steyning in West Sussex and on via the Coastal Link to Shoreham-by-Sea. It is waymarked and open to walker, horse riders and cyclists.
The Knepp Estate, famous for its Rewilding project, is just a stones throw away. It offers 16 miles of public and permissive footpaths, with five tree viewing-platforms offering wonderful panoramas of the surrounding countryside. There is also a bird-hide overlooking Knepp Lake.
The scenery and wildlife is just second to none, and wandering through the wilderness you can forget where you are and just lose yourself in nature. The Knepp Estate also offers some fantastic wildlife safaris, including Bats & Moths, Butterflies, Bumblebees, Vehicle safaris, Owl, Nightingale and many more.
Knepp Castle Estate comprises 3,500 acres of heavy weald clay in West Sussex. Though farmed intensively since WW2, the farm rarely made a profit. Rewilding has turned this around. Knepp has attracted support from Natural England through the Higher Level Stewardship scheme. And its focus on rewilding has prompted successful spin off enterprises. The farmland is now profitable.
Knepp Wildland’s ethos is to allow natural processes rather than aiming for any particular goals or outcomes. Free-roaming grazing animals - cattle, ponies, pigs and deer - drive this process-led regeneration. They act as proxies for herbivores that would have grazed the land thousands of years ago. Their different grazing preferences help create a mosaic of habitats from grassland and scrub to open-grown trees and wood pasture.
These animals need minimal intervention. At low cost, they provide wild-range, slow-grown, pasture-fed organic meat for which there is a growing market. The fact that Knepp is still producing food – albeit extensively – has been a useful ally.
In just over a decade Knepp has seen astonishing results in biodiversity. It is now a breeding hotspot for purple emperor butterflies, turtle doves, stalks and 2 per cent of the UK’s population of nightingales.
The Goodwood Estate is in the heart of West Sussex and is home to the world famous Festival of Speed, Goodwood Revival and Glorious Goodwood.
Goodwood House is a country house and estate covering 4,900 hectares (12,000 acres) in Westhampnett, Chichester, West Sussex, England and is the seat of the Duke of Richmond. The house was built in about 1600 and is a Grade I listed building.
The house and its grounds are the site of the annual Goodwood Festival of Speed, whilst elsewhere on the estate the Goodwood Circuit motorsport track at Chichester/Goodwood Airport hosts the annual Goodwood Revival, and the airfield has a Flying School. Goodwood Racecourse hosts "Glorious Goodwood" and a number of other (horse) race meetings. The estate includes two golf courses and a cricket pitch, home to Goodwood Cricket Club, a hotel and a 1,600 ha (4,000 acres) organic farm. The estate employs over 550 people and attracts 800,000 visitors a year. The headquarters of Rolls Royce Motor Cars is on the Estate.
The Monarch's Way long-distance footpath crosses the downs from west to east, passing immediately south of the racecourse.
Explore this supreme example of Capability Brown's landscape portfolio that offers far reaching views of the South Downs. The 700 acre parkland is home to a herd of around 700 fallow deer, that complement the idyllic 'natural' style that Capability Brown is lauded for. You can also discover the views that inspired landscape artist JMW Turner on his visits to Petworth. You can walk for miles and enjoy the views and wildlife. You can enjoy Petworth Pleasure Ground and Petworth Deer Park, if the unknown walks are a little daunting, you can take advantage of the Guided Walks and learn all about the park.
LOXWOOD CANAL CENTRE
In 1816, The Wey & Arun Junction Canal opened to great fanfare, linking the Wey Navigation near Guildford to the south coast via the Arun Navigation. Conceived during the Napoleonic Wars, the Canal was intended to provide a safe, efficient route from London to Portsmouth to carry goods supplying the dockyards. In its heyday, the Canal did carry many tons of cargo but the end of the war with France, and the arrival of the railways, sounded the death knell for the Wey & Arun as a business, and by 1871 it was formally closed.
200 years after it opened, over 3,000 members and volunteers are working to reopen the Wey & Arun Canal for leisure where you can now enjoy Boat Trips, the use of the canal for unpowered vessels such as kayaks, canoes, rowing boats and paddle boards, group rates are also available.
WAKEHURST BOTANIC GARDENS & ESTATE
Wakehurst, previously known as Wakehurst Place, is a house and botanic gardens in West Sussex, England, owned by the National Trust but used and managed by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. It is near Ardingly, West Sussex in the High Weald, and comprises a late 16th-century mansion and a mainly 20th-century garden, and Kew's Millennium Seed Bank, in a modern building. Visitors are able to see the gardens, the Mansion, and also visit the seed bank. The garden today covers some 2 km² and includes walled and water gardens, woodland and wetland conservation areas.
GUILDFORD MEDIEVAL TOWN
There is plenty to do and see in Guildford, including Guildford Castle, Guildford Cathedral and the Guildford museum. There are two market locations in Guildford – the High Street where a Farmers’ Market is held on the first Tuesday of each month (although not in January) and North Street where a traditional market flourishes on every Friday and Saturday. The Farmer’s Market extends along the length of the High Street, and includes food, craft and plant stalls. The market in North Street is more general, including fruit and vegetables, flowers and home goods.
In addition to the main streets and side alleys, Guildford has a major, two-story shopping centre, complete with adjacent multi-story car parking, and several covered shopping malls.